Wednesday, 18 April 2012 12:32

Parish Church of San Giacomo at Colombaro

Written by  matta
Rate this item
(0 votes)

 

HISTORY
The foundation of the Matildan parish church dedicated to San Giacomo, considered the oldest monument of the commune of Formigine, is strictly tied to the history of the village of Colombaro. The Romanesque church is recorded for the first time in a document of 1127 as a dependant of the Reggian monastery of Santa Maria di Marola. The monks of Colombaro often tried to escape from the Benedictine monastery, even involving the Pope in the struggle. In 1252, the Abbot of Marola, visiting the monastery of Colombaro, was not received by the Prior, necessitating papal intervention to convince the monks to submit. In addition to the church and convent, a document from 1162 explains that the complex also included a hospital and hospice for the reception of pilgrims. During the 15th century, the church began to have considerable influence, becoming one of the most important religious communities of the diocese of Modena. Renaissance frescoes have recently been discovered under the roof of the building next to the church. In the 17th century, when it became a parish church, the building underwent a series of changes adapting it to baroque forms, almost all of which were eliminated in the recent restoration campaigns. These 20th-century interventions were aimed to return the church to its original Romanesque appearance. A 2011 initiative aims to return a certain historic and architectural prestige to the church through the construction of a new piazza that should become the new civic center of the village.

ART-HISTORICAL NOTES
The single-nave church is flanked by a 18th-century campanile. The façade of the church was completely refigured during the restorations of 1963-75. They reopened a double lancet window, placing a Romanesque capital atop a colonnette from the old building. The single lancets on the south side and the socle are also authentic. The exterior stone facing in ashlar and a small lancet window visible between the church and the convent are also from the older building.

 

Additional Info

  • Address: Via Sant'Antonio 62, Colombaro (Formigine)
  • Province:
  • Phone: +39 059 553511
  • Opening Days and Time:

    La parrocchia può essere visitata solo su appuntamento.

  • Guided Tour: Per visite guidate contattare l'associazione Rabisch (Tel: +39 338 6357868 - associazione.rabisch@gmail.com) Si offrono visite per gruppi di studenti, adulti e disabili. Guide disponibili in lingue straniere.
  • Recommended Restaurants:
MAP: