Friday, 25 May 2012 12:20

Parish Church of Saints Ippolito and Cassiano at Gaione

Written by  matta
Rate this item
(0 votes)

HISTORY
The small parish of Gaione in the province of Parma, dedicated to Saints Ippolito and Cassiano, has survived a long and complex history. Its ancient origins are as early as the 7-8
th century, built in the early Middle Ages on the remains of a Roman structure. A small altar made of reused Roman bricks from this early building has been found. A Romanesque church replaced this early one around the 12th century; the first attestation of its existence in 1111. But beginning in the 17th century, the monument has undergone a series of renovations that have partially altered its original Romanesque appearance. The campanile, the choir and the south wall are from the most recent phase of restorations.

ART-HISTORICAL NOTES
The church has fortunately preserved its very simple façade, austere and unadorned, its rustic stonework exposed. In contrast with the south wall, the north side preserves some of its original cubed ashlar blocks. The church is a three-aisled basilica, with three semicircular apses in the east. Some 20th-century restorations cleaned up the wall, in alternating courses of brick and stone, most evident in the cylindrical piers that support the five arcades of the nave. Even the capitals, chamfered cubes, were made of the same materials. The church is covered in a wood-trussed roof. Unfortunately the original apses were demolished following the 18th-century reconstruction of the choir. Additionally, the pavement was lowered to its original level, with the intention of revealing the pier bases. Finally, in the course of the 19th century, the single lateral chapel was built, and the rectory was enlarged. Excavations conducted beginning in 1952 contributed to the reconstruction of the east apse and to the rediscovery of the round base of the original baptistery in the first bay of the nave on the north side of the church.

 

 

Additional Info

  • Address: Viale Don Aldo Bernardi 43124 Parma PR
  • Province:
  • Phone: +39 0521 648161
  • Opening Days and Time:

    La chiesa è visitabile su appuntamento di domenica e nelle festività religiose dalle 8,00 alle 12,30 e dalle 15,00 alle 18,00.

  • Guided Tour: Per visite guidate contattare l'associazione Rabisch (Tel: +39 338 6357868 - associazione.rabisch@gmail.com) Si offrono visite per gruppi di studenti, adulti e disabili. Guide disponibili in lingue straniere.
  • Recommended Restaurants:
MAP: